Thursday, February 7, 2008

Doctor, doctor--give me the news...

Okay, I admit it: I'm paranoid. Paranoid about driving in the dark and/or rain. Paranoid about falling asleep. Paranoid about getting off a schedule. Paranoid about missing out on something important. Paranoid about meticulous order. Just paranoid. Is that some sort of disease?

No matter how much I maintain my specific schedule as a teacher, there will always be something to throw me off schedule. Always. This, my friends, is something I will never be able to ignore. What throws me off, you may ask? Pep rallies, meetings, off-campus activities, last minute work orders, pictures, classroom discipline, out-of-classroom discipline, running out of paper (and staples, tape, markers, etc.), emergency subbing during my planning because another teacher just didn't show up to freakin' work, parent phone calls, not being able to give grades below a 50 because we can't associate work ethic & effort with grades that are supposed to measure only mastery of materials, parent e-mails, pointless staff e-mails, lunch duty, library being closed, printer not working, computer crashing, paycheck miscalculated, etc.etc.etc.

But you know what makes it all worthwhile? Having students who respect you, and completely get involved with the things you're teaching, and bring you presents for your birthday, and stay after school to just talk, and acknowledge that you have high standards, and encourage others to work diligently, and turn in major assignments on time & nearly perfect, and and and..... :)

Such is my life. The life of an educator. A public school educator.

No comments: